Monday, February 9, 2015

Why personal expression should be regulated to fit certain standards...

Now some reflections on modern art. Yes, now is the time in which I will pry open the depths of the artistic mystery in order to bring forth from it a deeper reading of our own souls and how we are to approach with awe and wonder the infinity of our interpretive genius.*
The following pictures are of those few sculptures which had stirred within me the urge to photograph them.


The first piece is this large, white monolith-thing. I thought upon first glance that the gallery was under construction. Then I saw the sign with its name and description.
Now, some may find this kind of thing appealing. I took a class in the philosophy of aesthetics my second year. We talked about something being "beautiful" insofar as it represented reality/truth. That is why the Sistine chapel ceiling is so popular, and this glorified cheese-stick is not.

This next one relates to the soul the contorted struggle of history in tortured mass of plaster. The long history of political and economic development, carrying with it the strife of war and disaster, are suddenly broken off by the primary product of mankind's efforts to attain greatness and fulfill his nature... grape soda. Yep, that's a big ol' case of grape soda just kinda sittin' there on top of a lump of white stuff. And I paid $14 to see it. Next time, I'll go to Giant.









Finally, the industrial strength door. I will let you interpret this one for yourselves...
Darn... it's locked.
So, those are just a few of the many wonderful things I saw at the Philadelphia Art Museum. I do have pictures of works that I actually found pleasing to the eye, rather than confounding to the mind.
*The contents of this sentence is the similar to the legible rendering of "fat-free kielbasa", which is objectively nasty and subjectively pointless.

2 comments:

  1. I wonder how many pieces in that museum must have accidentally been chucked out by the cleaning lady under the impression that they were garbage...

    ReplyDelete