Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Serving conveniently

Tonight we have this thing called a "Rector's dinner". It happens every Wednesday. As a seminary community, we all gather in our refectory (cafeteria) and are served dinner by a select few who have been designated for serving duties. Now, these dinners are more often then not a source of a fair amount of agony. You are assigned seats at random, so you may be sitting with a bunch of the guys you usually hang out with, or you may be treated to a table full of conversationalists as stimulating as a soggy french-fry. You just never know. I don't know how many of you have undergone forced family outings (FFO's), but if you have, you know how this works. By no means do I mean to equate your sibling's and/or parent's conversation ability or personality with that of a soggy french-fry, it is merely an illustration. I myself have undergone such outings and am well aware that the attitude of one can very well effect the attitude of others (very loving shout-out to my sister Julia). In my humble opinion, the servers are the lucky ones. They get to move around and keep conversation brief and to the point. The whole shindig usually lasts about an hour and a half, so running about with trays of food is a very efficient way to pass the time. Lucky me, I'm serving tonight! Usually we serve by class e.g. sophomores one night, juniors another, etc., but I offered should a vacancy be discovered, I would be more than happy to occupy the void.Well, there is one. So tonight I will be scuttling about, in the manner of a panic-stricken spider crab, serving God's people with nice, large helpings of cafeteria food. What a life...

2 comments:

  1. Hey li'l bro, you decided to start a blog and didn't tell me? Awesome!!! If you ever need me to be a a guest writer I'll be more than happy to find an excuse not to. Keep spreading the word and I'll keep commenting here until you block me. You've got prayers from south of the border. Que Dios te bendiga y la Virgen te acompaƱe. -Andrew (who was also in the boat, but he didn´t speak much... musta been more the soggy french fry type.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah he didn't even tell me! mom had to tell me about it, i'm following you Peter, in case you didn't notice
    oh thanks for putting my pictures up there:)

    ReplyDelete