Thursday, January 29, 2015

The Lord's work

Every Thursday, we here at the seminary are sent out into the big, wide, world to render some kind of service to humanity as a means to justify our existence. For some, it may be going to a convalescent home, or perhaps a food pantry. For others, it may be going to three grade schools and speaking for about an hour at each about vocations and telling their personal vocation story. How do I know this in such detail? That's right. That's my job... So me and my fellow vocationeer (totally just made that word up. I feel like I out-smarted spell chek) drive about the state, sharing our stories and experiencing all those proverbial pre-speech butterflies every Thursday. Today is special, because instead of three grade schools, we go to one high school for the whole day. I think this apostolate was chosen for me to build confidence and get a better handle on public speaking.
Question: How is it that high energy people, who talk all the time (I mean within the genus of high energy people. Not all species in the genus of "high energy people" are talkers), remain high energy? I mean, I talk for like, three hours and I fall asleep in the car on the way back to school every time. Can't do that today because I'm driving.
Nevertheless, cheers to you mile-a-minuet speakers who do it for fun. I'll stick to communing with root vegetables and reading books by dead people... Unless God wants me to do otherwise. I believe He thinks watching me talk to high schoolers is funny.

1 comment: