Sunday, January 25, 2015

Things I do

Today is Sunday at the Seminary! We have mass, then exposition of the Blessed Sacrament all day until evening prayer at 5:00.
Today I did a few of my hobbies. I am in the process of re-painting a statue of Mary as the Sedes Sapientiae (Seat of Wisdom) my best friend (whose blog I encourage you to visit) purchased the statue and when he took a semester off for health reasons, he gave it to me. Well, I was very sad to see him leave... but I really wanted the statue.
So, I have been sanding it down and I will be re-painting it. I will post the before-after pictures when I finish.
At seminary, my best friend and I also started a garden. I really enjoy gardening and I was tired of being bored where I live. Epistemology can only be so fun. So we got permission to start this garden (you wouldn't believe how many people thought it was a stupid thing to do! They seem to hate living things...), and planted some vegetables for the sisters living in the convent on the seminary's property. Well, we left for the summer and while we were gone, the plants  did what plants do: grow. So when we came back, everything had grown... only it was nothing we planted. Brainiac that  I am, I had tilled all the grass into the soil (sophomore literally means "wise fool"), so it all came back.
No ship, Sherlock.
Fast forward to now, I am in the process of reclaiming the land from the resurgent greenery, hoping it will  greatly improve our yield. What I did today was get a trough that we had (tried) to plant flowers in and use it to start on the herbs. I am keeping them in my dorm room and I am making sure to keep the room warm. I contrived an ingenious irrigation system that I think has been my greatest achievement  since I've gotten to seminary. I did this, all the while rocking out to my favourite mix of the 80's, 90's, traditional Japanese koto music, and solo pianist George Winston!
Tonight, the dean of men is taking the sacristans, masters of ceremony, and head cantor to dinner in south Philly.
I will probably be sleeping through this stimulating event. I haven't the creative genius left to carry on coherent conversation. My irrigation system drained me. (Sorry)

No comments:

Post a Comment